The Importance of Registering at Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS)
Registering as a postdoctoral fellow provides you with several advantages.
- An identification number (matricule) to receive your earnings (SPE) and allow you to identify yourself to academic and governmental units;
- An official certification, upon request, of your registration from GPS;
- Access to UdeM libraries and to the computer and technological services of the UdeM (Technologies de l’information (TI));
- Notification of possible scholarships and other important information;
- A postdoctoral fellow’s ID card.
Registration at GPS
Once you obtain an admission letter from GPS, you will be registered for the duration of your fellowship. An international postdoctoral fellow must provide GPS with the original of his work permit in order to complete his registration. The duration of the fellowship cannot exceed the duration of the work permit.
After your registration, you may create an institutional email account with your identification number and your UNIP, and have access to the IT services and obtain a library card.
It is very important to activate your UNIP. By doing so, your personal information becomes available in UdeM’s databases and consequently, all information with regards to you will be accessible to the relevant services.
In order to guide you during your postdoctoral fellowship, a one pager is available on the publication page of this Website.
In the event that your postdoctoral fellowship extends beyond the period initially scheduled, you must submit a request for extension no later than one month before the end of your registration date, so that your request is processed on time. This request can be submitted directly via your student center, by completing the form "CHE_Prolongation_stage".
Before submitting a request for an extension, you must first check whether you meet the following eligibility conditions:
- The Politique sur le statut des stagiaires postdoctoraux de l'Université de Montréal specifies that a postdoctoral fellowship cannot be extended beyond the fifth year following obtaining the doctorate.
- Be recommended by the current internship supervisor and the director of the relevant academic unit (faculty, school, department, program);
- Be a scholarship recipient or be funded by the supervisor or unit for the duration of the internship.
When submitting your online application, you must attach the following documents:
- Postdoctoral fellowship acceptance form fully completed and signed by your supervisor and your home academic unit. Be careful to include only information about your extension.
- For scholarship recipients only: Include a scholarship award letter from an external funding agency (if applicable). This letter should state that the scholarship was obtained on your behalf.
- For international trainees: If your immigration documents have been renewed since your last registration, please attach the following documents if applicable to your situation:
- Proof of renewal of the work permit: your work permit must cover the entire period of the extension. If you are in the process of obtaining a renewal of your work permit, you must provide the acknowledgment of receipt of your renewal request.
- Permanent residence card